26 November 2010

Lovely Demons

The Demon's Lexicon and The Demon's Covenant

Sarah Rees Brennan

5 Stars



Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again. Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is desperate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long. Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all. (quoted from goodreads)

First sentence of The Demon's Lexicon:

"The pipe under the sink was leaking again. It wouldn’t have been so bad, except that Nick kept his favorite sword under the sink."

I read these books, the first two in Sarah Rees Brennan's The Demon's Lexicon trilogy, having heard much about her beautiful style of writing and lifelike characters. I really wasn't expecting it would be as good as everyone said it was - things rarely live up to their hype. However, I was absolutely blown away by these novels! From the very beginning, I fell in love with each of the characters, not to mention the way the plot always had me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. Just when I thought I knew what was coming, a new twist was thrown in and I was left completely shocked, quite literally gaping in surprise. The first book definitely ends with a huge bombshell, and I thought Sarah Rees Brennan did an amazing job building up the suspense and mystery. Also, the mythology that she created is so very enticing, because it's so different from what we usually read about. Magicians bartering innocent lives for power from the demons? Totally unique, which makes learning more about this magical world an absolute delight. And the characters - oh, the characters! I know it's so cliche to say that I loved each and every one of them, but I did. Mae, Jamie, Nick, and Alan all feel like my old friends now, the kind you constantly squabble with and make fun of and cry with. Jamie - I cannot count the number of times I wanted to give him a hug, or the number of times he made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. Mae is just so strong and quirky, and I adore her for it. Nick - well, Nick is so tough and sarcastic on the outside, but he has some very dark secrets, some of which even he doesn't know. And Alan...Alan is sweet and frustrated and loyal and just a little bit twisted. (And readers will no doubt swoon for both Nick and Alan!) I really appreciated that Jamie was a gay character, since those are so rare in most genres. It's great that Jamie's main conflict is definitely not that he's gay - it's not even a conflict, actually, just a part of who he is. I also love that The Demon's Lexicon is told from Nick's point of view, but The Demon's Covenant is told from Mae's. I thought they were the perfect characters to tell that particular section of the story. I love how each of the characters seems so real, so that it hurts you to watch them get hurt, and you feel joy for all their triumphs and pain for their losses. After finishing the second book, I am anxiously awaiting the third book, The Demon's Surrender, which comes out around May or June in 2011 (cover here). This series is definitely one you should not miss! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment